Friday, January 15, 2010

A song in the dark.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/assignment-19/

"they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang"- 2 Chronicles 5:13

Here is a quote from a journalist who only recently arrived on scene in Haiti.
A: "There was one thing that didn't really make the pictures.
      It was my first night here last night.
      We were staying at a hotel on the edge of a pretty heavily damaged neighborhood and at night,
      you could hear people singing.  People are out on the street at night.
      It's really hard to photograph because there's no electricity.  It's pitch black.
      But all night you could hear them singing prayers.
      It's pretty amazing the ways that people are dealing with this tragedy.
      It says a lot about the Haitian character.  They are amazing people."

I, along with the rest of the world are seeing the very graphic images, a result of the devastating earthquake in Haiti.  When I first learned of this tragedy I turned to the web to get any information I could.
Sometimes I scrolled down to the end of the article to read the comments listed there after.
One chap scorned the solicitated prayers of readers.
Another, a well known public person stated that they, that is the Haitian people deserved this because they turned their backs on God a long time ago.
We are no perfect people here.  We all have sinned and fall short.
I believe my Bible tells me that.

In the midst of studying Acts.  I am seeing a pattern emerge as a result of a commandment to "preach to the ends of the earth".  Somewhere along there, there is and will be persecution.  And as sad as that can be, it does appear to be a way that God moves his people outward & forward.
Perhaps the comment from the bloke on prayer comes because he is tired of lip service and seeks immediate displays of action. I really don't know.
The other statement...well, I won't venture to comment, sufficient to say it made me very upset.
Prayer is the one thing we all can do.
It seems to me that in the midst of the trial of suffering, the Hatitian community realizes what is needed.
And together, all our prayers are heard.
Electricity or no electricity.

No comments: