Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The one that got away.

I absolutely love sun-dried tomatoes.  So, after I dressed up a chicken to roast, I tucked it away into the oven and was on to the next order of business.
I was searching through my fridge and pantry to come up with a side dish.  The chicken was stuffed with a combination of lemon, garlic and fresh herbs: rosemary, sage & Italian parsley.  So, I was looking for something savory but not too overwhelming to accompany my roasted chicken.  I knew my sun-dried tomatoes sitting at the back of my fridge would go great with something but what?
Opening the pantry I saw a tin of chickpeas.  Grabbing the tin I went back to the vegetable drawer.  I selected a purple onion, some garlic, a zucchini, my last green pepper and the remaining parsley. Adding each item step by step, stirring softly and seasoning with a few crunches of black pepper from the mill, I hover over the steaming pot inhaling deeply.  Last but not least, a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar and I set my dish aside for the moment. A stray tomato stuck to the bamboo spoon begs to be eaten.
I had to put the lid on straight away lest I poke through the remaining veggies in search of more tomatoes.
Now, I am just waiting for my husband to get home from work and it's dinnertime.  But, I just couldn't resist the temptation and lifting the lid I fish out another small bite of s.d. t. just to go with the one that got away.





No comments: