Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This mornings thoughts

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."
This morning I held the door open for someone, someone I did not know and as he said thank-you, I replied back, "you're welcome."
A few steps further and I began to think about my tone of voice as I spoke to the stranger.
I smiled as I held the door open and my voice seemed to carry a kinder, thoughtful sound.
I don't think I always respond in this manner and this is what got me thinking.
The verse above, about "entertaining angels" has always played havoc with my mind.
I think about the various people I come into contact with on a daily basis.
As I walk down the streets in my neighborhood, staring into the faces of strangers I have to wonder. I wonder about angels.
I have never met an angel, at least not to the best of my knowledge.
I know people who have angel stories.
The man on the street sitting on the sidewalk just outside a store makes an appeal for money. Some look into the face of passersby and specifically ask for something, say breakfast. Such is the case of one young man I passed by this morning while in downtown Vancouver.
"What is my responsibility", I enquire of myself?
Did I just miss an angel. I have no idea what an angel looks like except for the biblical references.
The protective side of things warn me to watch out for people who will take advantage of my kindness.
My pride instructs me not to let someone get the better of me.
The passage before makes the point of worshiping God with reverence and awe.
The words that follow in the next passage point out specifics that mark everyday life situations and I am beginning to sense that I am to have a faith that invades every area of my life that stems from my worship of God.
Being confident that "the Lord is my helper".
I find myself at the end of my thoughts (for now) and realize that this is a subject that I will give more thought to in the coming days.
The only conclusion I have is that I do not have the answer right now.

No comments: