Saturday, September 19, 2009

Did they not hear?

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!"

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in?
And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?
And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?
And how can they preach unless they are sent?"
"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did"


As I sit at the computer, my patio window is open. The air is cool for Autumn and I hear the wind as it rustles the leaves just outside my door.
And somewhere, someone, is playing their flute.
I hear the melody as it softly rises to my open window. I hear the musical scales(she?) is playing and when that stops, there is a bit of a melody following.
I do not know who is playing the instrument but I do understand that it is a flute that is being played. Perhaps from another open window in my apartment building, somewhere above me. I think that I have even heard it once or twice before.

As my study group begins to meet on Wednesday or Thursday (we have not made up our mind yet, my vote is for Wednesday) we will begin a study on the book of Acts.
And, as I read over the scripture yet again but in a new, fresh way, I am struck by the kindness no, make that the lovingkindess of God toward the Gentiles.
I guess that would mean me since I am not of Jewish heritage.
"For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
I am not a teacher or professor and as such my comments are simply coming from someone who is in the process of learning. I understand that the Jews follow laws. Laws, subjected since the time of the OT and still practised today.
Ah, but Peter had a vision.
And to lunch he went, over to lunch with a Gentile by the name of Cornelius.
This was the beginning of the end. Well, maybe if you were Jewish you might think so. But this was the beginning of something wonderful, something amazing.
"Who has known the mind of the Lord?
Or who has been his counselor?"

I look forward to learning more, and then I can better address the subject.
The music from the flute still drifts in once in awhile.
I know she is there even though I cannot see her.
I know that God is present, alive and with me even though I may not physically see him.
I also know that I am going to learn more about him in the days ahead.
That will be either Wednesday or Thursday.

"For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be the glory forever!. Amen."

No comments: