Thursday, March 12, 2009

Time in a Bottle

Are you one of those people who might say,
"there are just not enough hours in the day to do everything I need to do?"
I am an early riser. Very seldom do I sleep in. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually slept in.
From the moment I rouse from sleep and my mind kicks into gear, I cannot stop thinking about my day, such as it is.
And, while I am not "gainfully employed" I am employed nevertheless in some kind of activity.
And why is it that when you meet someone for the first or even second time(lest they forget) that one of the very first questions you are asked is, "what do you do?"
By that I take it that they are enquiring of you what your occupation is and not, "what do you occupy your time with."
I find it quite amusing that people will assume that because I do not have a "regular" job, I therefore sleep in most mornings and then once up and about, I whittle my day away in meaningless dribble.
I have never been asked the question, "what or how do I spend my time?"
Had anyone asked I would be willing to give an answer but even then I suspect that I would still feel some kind of judgment because I am for the most part at home instead of sitting behind a desk.
And why am I having this conversation at all?
When it comes to "time" I have in the past spent too much of it thinking, pondering even worrying about what other people think about me.
Now that is a supreme waste of time.
We westerners live in a culture that is very much dictated by time.
What "you do" appears to be the platform for defining whether or not you are respected, or in my case, what I do not do as the assumption goes.
I am surprised that I even took the time to write this down but that is what happens when you have a little rant and you want to get it out.
So, thanks for taking the "time" to read this.

No comments: