Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nothing says Autumn like...


a good ol' fashioned stew or Kentucky Burgoo.

The first time I ever heard about "burgoo"
was from a friend inviting us to join them at a
restaurant named "Burgoo".
Burgoo is pretty much a hearty stew.

The recipe calls for items I have on hand in my pantry or freezer so it was easy to whip up a batch. The only thing I wished for was a crock pot in which to have supper simmering all day. But hey, a craving is a craving and you do what you got to do which also accounts for the brownies I made yesterday.
I really like eating meals that I can serve up in one dish, in this case a deep bowl. Maybe this is one of the reasons I enjoy soup so much. I like having a collection of everything I like all in one place. This suddenly reminds me of one of my sisters who as a child used to separate the food on her plate into little camps. The vegetables could not touch the meat camp and the offending or in this case defending potato stayed on his side of the plate.
No separate campsites here.
Meat and vegetables all come together and after simmering for an adequate amount of time, the end result is this fantastic Autumn dish.
The only thing is that I made enough to feed a few other people. But that is the beauty of stews
or soups or any other simmering dish.
The next day your stew tastes even better.
My Kentucky Burgoo
3 Tbsp. canola oil. Heat large pot, add oil followed by 2 med. onions chopped, 2 leeks sliced thin, 3 cloves garlic sliced.
Fry for two minutes, on medium heat.
Add 1 lb. cubed beef and 1/2 lb skinless boneless chicken, cubed. Pour in 1/2 cup red wine, 1-14 oz. can of chicken broth, 1-14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, 3 Tbsp. tomato paste & 2 cups water.
Next add 3 Tbsp. brown sugar, 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp worcestershire.
1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and
1 Tbsp. mixed herbs, Italian mix. Simmer for 1/2 hour, stirring once in awhile.
Add 1/2 small savoy cabbage, chopped medium
3 carrots into 1" slices
1 pkg, Green Giant frozen lima beans
1 pkg. frozen sliced okra
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
(you can add some niblet corn if you like, most recipes call for it, I did not have any)
Continue to simmer on low-medium heat for another hour stirring once in awhile.
I went for a bike ride while it simmered.
I wish I had a crock pot.
Adjust for seasonings and add some water if need be.
When ready, ladle into (deep) bowls and serve with a slice of fresh artisan bread. Hmmmmm.
This was my dinner tonight and judging by the extent of my leftovers... supper tomorrow and perhaps the next day.

No comments: