Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A few short weeks.

"The shortest route is not always the best route because it can back off some of lifes important lessons."
-Ravi Zacharias
The process of adoption can be and most likely is a slow one.
Ask anyone who has ever begun the process, one which will bring immense change into your life.
And, this particuliar journey is one of hope and trust, involving a whole lot of waiting.
Again, just ask anyone who has gone through the process.
People are very kind.
Those of whom you have shared this information with, friends and family have joined you in this journey, therefore if makes perfect sense that they will enquire, "any news?"
And when there is nothing new to report a common answer back is, "you are so patient."
Inside my thoughts reflect my true feelings.

Today's message by Mr. Zacharias hit on a few pivotal points in my life.
Drawing upon scripture and pointing out yet again where my focus should be or most importantly on whom.
"Reader, if you feel constrained to praise the instrument, stop, and give God the glory"
-John Wesley
These days and truthfully most days, I do not feel patient.
When those of my friends state that I am a patient person I confess that their well intentioned wishes should be better directed to another source.  These days I have to conclude that it is God who is the patient one.
In His forbearance with me and His ultimate knowledge of time, space, people, places and perhaps things of a very personal nature, He is the one who is patient.  Patient with me that is.
Oh, the struggle.
Which makes this mornings message hit home and touch some of those "sore" spots.
For example, take the story of the Israelites wandering in the desert for 40 yrs. 
"Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these 40 years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands."
Deuteronomy 8:2
As I understand it, what was meant to be a relatively short trip became an extended lesson for generation after generation.  And, in the midst of the desert, traveling alongside of the people there is God.
"Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day." Deuteronomy 8:11

I suppose that one of the lessons in the 40 year journey was not so much about reaching a promised land but about what was truly important, that being a relationship with God.  Both of the the above quoted verses touch on the same subject, "remember me" and "do not forget me".
Isn't is like us to do just that?
Whether I am busy with the things of life or contemplating the future I can set God aside as if he wasn't really there at all.  And that is why I needed this reminder today.
No, I am not the patient one.  It is God.  The same God who moved in the desert alongside of the Israelites and the God of my today, my tomorrow and my own personal desert lesson.
Hopefully it is a lesson that I will not forget.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just listened to this message of Ravi Zacharias' online, it was such a blessing. May you be blessed in days to come as you turn to give God the glory, when He was so patient with all of us.

Cheers,

Josh