Monday, February 1, 2010

Safety first is the rule, always?

http://donmilleris.com/2010/02/01/francis-chan-on-taking-risks/comment-page-1/#comment-10261

You know that old joke.
"Why did the chicken cross the road"?
The answer is fairly simple and easy when you think about it.  But had I been the chicken my thought process would look something like this.
Hmm, do I really want to do this?
Do I really need to do this and how can I distinguish between a "want & a need"?
Wait a minute.  What is on the other side of that road?
What will I find there?  Will I be happier?  What do I get out of it?
And, the most important question. 
What if I get hurt doing this?  I mean,  people I'm crossing a road here.  I could get seriously hurt.

There's that little voice in the back of my head.
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

I think I can say with certainty that I have lived most of my life trying to stay safe.
We learn safety as we grow up and there is nothing wrong with that in fact, it can be a good thing.  I can however, live my life orchestrating every little "tot & tittle"  so that I can be in control of my every little emotion.  Or maybe there should be a vote between "me, myself and I" as to whether my allowing someone into my life has purpose or will cause me to hurt because gosh darn it...I know them, they are going to let me down hurting me time and time again.
That is one powerful way to live.
Living for yourself that is.

Or, I can choose to live another way, choosing a different approach, another direction.
And when I cross that road...I might get hurt.
But I will also discover what it really is like on the other side.

I recall a movie from years ago.
The boy in the plastic bubble.  He had all kinds of allergies ( I think) and living enclosed in this literal, physical "bubble" which allowed him to see other people, view the world as such from his tiny space but all within the perimeters of a closely guarded system of protection.
And isn't that what it comes down to?
We can try to justify our reasons,
or can we?  More to the point, should we?
A tight rein on emotions due to an even closer guard on your heart, unwilling to take a step into a direction that you haven't planned out.
Which means that you are in control.  But that is not how God wants us to live.
Is that really how you want to live?
Watch the movie again if you have to.

No comments: