Friday, January 29, 2010

Eating my words.

"When words are many, sin is not absent,
but he who holds his tongue is wise." -Proverbs 10:19

Now if I had read these words before I would not be adding words like a salve to what is a very raw sore.

You would of thought that I had learned my lesson but if it is obvious to anyone and that anyone is me I am admitting that I did not.   
Another proverb here to consider, "foot in mouth".  I should have used my feet to walk away but oh no, instead I chose to go headlong into it
 A very bad choice.
The end result, a literal hoof & mouth disease.  And with any type of disease you need a doctor to administer the wise application of some medicine to clear up the whole thing.

"Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs."
The book of Proverbs is good for...proverbs.  And since I am knee deep in this and I am searching for advice, then the Bible is the place to go as I have been told.
 Love...covers...ALL...wrongs!
Did I really need to repeat myself?  A, yes, yes I did.
In my defence I wanted to speak my mind.  I console myself by telling "me" that I had a right to do that. And that was/is my big problem.  I thought I needed to speak up and say a thing or two.  Pride.
Part 1.  Open mouth wide
Part 2.  Insert foot, no insert both feet because you wanted to point out a "thing or two".

But, love...covers...ALL... wrongs.

Yeah, I needed to put that in there again.  You see, I need to be reminded of that.  It needs a little reinforcing just like that injection for an antibiotic, you know the one. It fights the bad guys.  And as the tip of that needle meets the skin and you feel that not so nice prick of initial uncomfortable pain, you know that in the end it is helpful, very helpful.
But, love...covers...All...wrongs!
Interestingly enough, just across the page is another proverb.
Six lines full of the wisdom I am searching for.
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom"

Turn over the page and I find something that hits the bulls-eye.
These pages are full of wisdom.  But instead of going here first and seeking wisdom from the peace-maker, I chose another route instead and ended up....
eating my words or at least wishing I could.

"Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Hey, I just noticed that the proverb begins by way of explanation of what goes wrong then the next line begins with "but" .................but, here is the next line and I am going to tell you how to get it right
so you (hopefully) don't mess up again.
And that second line, with that little word gives you hope that whatever is wrong,  CAN be made right once again.
"The fear of the LORD teaches a man (or woman) wisdom,
and humility comes before honor."
I end with this note, to my tongue...for the future.  "Note to self".
"The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat of its fruit."

Not always tasty, when you have to eat your words.

No comments: