Wednesday, January 27, 2010

All work and no play

"makes Jack a dull boy."

Who is Jack anyway? And more to the point, what does he know that I do not?

Funny enough (and the way my mind works) one thought leads to another.  One idea bounces off another, followed by more thoughts on a given subject and before I know it, I have a quote.  Well, sometimes that is how it works.
Take this quote for example.
I am going to strike out, give my interpretation solely based on my own observations.
Obviously we need balance.  I think we can all agree on that one.
Now, applying the quote to my own circumstances at the moment,  this particular thought has everything to do with the subject of  "work".   Emphasis on the "do" part.
Not the kind of work one does on a daily basis such as a job.
This is the kind of work that is more attentive, driving, consuming and in the end draining.
And, the end result...a dull boy or girl.
Dull, now there's a word.
I am going to further apply my own thinking by way of stating that when I become "dull" then my mind is not quick or sharp to what really is important.
I have let something else over run my life so that its consumption has blurred, dulled the one thing that should be most important in my life.
And, once again, reading my morning devotional from Oswald I get a reminder.

"LOOK AGAIN AND THINK"
"Do not worry about your life." -Matthew 6:25

"A warning which needs to be repeated is that 'the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches,' and the lust for other things, will choke out the life of God in us (Matt. 13:22).
 Our Lord says to be careful only about one thing - our relationship to Him."

Personally speaking I am seeing a trend.
When the "cares of this life" weigh me down, take more "work" than they should then I forget about the play.  No disrespect intended toward the spiritual.  What I mean is that while my relationship with God is one of  importance and requires discipline on my part, I don't have to strive to be in his presence.
In my past I have seen this play out time & time again.
I become consumed with the struggle, any struggle and when that happens a dullness sets in.
I just needed a reminder.

Cares & deceitfulness + lust = choking.
Resulting in dullness.
Let's face it.  When you are being choked you lose your oxygen.
Lack of oxygen to the brain tends to leave one dull if not in need of some very serious help.
I am fairly certain that this is not what Jack had in mind when he was quoted but he did have the good sense to realize there should be balance in his life.
It just takes some of us a little longer to realize and make the changes.

No comments: