Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Voice of the LORD.

"When thou saidst, 'Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek'-Psalm 27:8
There is only one time in my life that I will tell you that I heard a voice speak to me. This was when I was 15 years old, about to be baptised, having taken the prescribed classes, answered the questions by the deacons etc, etc. Yet, when the time came, I panicked because I was nervous, scared. I cannot pinpoint an exact time sufficient to say but I heard a voice instructing me to go ahead, be obedient.
In reflection, I would have to say that during those moments when I have felt frightened, it is when (in this case) I was encouraged by a voice, but most often, it will come in the form of a verse of scripture that I have been directed to or given by a praying friend.
Psalm 29 gives more references to "the voice of the LORD" and since I am reading this from my Grandmother Hilton's King James Bible (in case you hadn't noticed the thees & thous) she has marked in ink the number of times you will read about his voice, that being 7 times.
His voice is upon the waters, "many waters"
His voice, "thundereth"
His voice, "is powerful"
His voice breaks tall trees, cedars of Lebanon
His voice separates "the flames of fire"
His voice shakes things up in the wilderness
His voice causes the animals to bring forth, to birth
Eugene Peterson uses the word "thunder" in relation to God's voice.
Who among us does not look up into the sky when we hear the ecstatic boom of thunder as it travels across the sky?
And we, well we are to give him glory, all the glory due unto his name.

The older I get the more I realize that it is not about me but it is all about him.
But even in the thunder one is likely to bury their head under the covers and wait for the storm to past.
And God, he will speak out from that storm. This too I am learning.
"The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace"
Isn't it funny? We do not often associate the sound of thunder with peace and yet, that is the promise, his promise.
Yesterday I spoke with a friend who has also been listening to God's thunder.
Usually this comes at night when she cannot sleep and she had told me that my name comes to her mind. I don't suppose it sounds like thunder. I think it might be that still small voice that you also hear about.
At any rate, isn't it wonderful that God does speak to us?
What I need to learn is that it is his way, his time and when he does speak...hopefully my heart will be ready because I want to hang on to every word he says.

No comments: