Tuesday, March 31, 2009

For whom we intercede.

This blog title is taken from a short devotional written by Oswald Chambers.
"One of the most subtle and illusive burdens God ever places on us as saints is this burden of discernment concerning others. It is not that we are able to bring God into contact with our minds, but that we awaken ourselves to the point where God is able to convey His mind to us regarding the people for whom we intercede."

Interestingly enough, is the verse chosen to represent the passage. One I am sure most people are quite familiar with.
"If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life." 1 John 5:16
The actual title of this devotion is: Heedfulness or Hypocrisy In Ourselves?
The question mark at the end gives one plenty of room to think before moving on to the actual devotion.
Intercede is one word that is well known and well used in evangelical circles.
And, we often "intercede" by means of prayer and prayers.
Once again I wanted to look up the dictionary meaning and found that the word "plead" was used to describe intercede. Perhaps this helps to put things into perspective, especially for those outside the realm of church and "christianese".
But I am quite positive that my morning reading is not talking about the average, unchurched fellow.
On the contrary he is speaking to me.

Very recently I put myself in the place of "pleading".
I won't go into details sufficient to say, that I approached this person, someone I love very much and questioned them with regard to something I had heard.
My intentions were purely to go to the source and make them aware that as such that "this thing" was not only known and being spoken of but that it could represent great trouble for them, did they not know??
I did this out of great concern just to repeat myself.
It was not to promote gossip. No, if anything my intentions were to nip it in the bud, so to speak.
But, when approaching anyone with regard to "sin" is a very touchy subject.
And this is why I am glad for the second part of this devotion which makes things very, very clear.
"...but that we awaken ourselves to the point where God is able to convey His mind to us regarding the people for whom we intercede."

Once again may I point out, "the main thing, is that the main thing, remains the main thing" and that being God at the center of all I do.
Back to the word intercede.
I know that in the case of this "brother", I did indeed plead.
And to plead my case, I truly believe that God knew my heart and directed me this time.
Should I be wrong on this one thing, then I am extremely grateful that Christ intercedes on my behalf as He knows and understands me so completely.

No comments: