Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green Shampoo

I used green shampoo today but not because it is Irish. It is just the brand that I bought this time.
I can put on an Irish accent as it seems to be the only one I can produce, when I want to.
I am wearing a green vest right now and when I go over to my friends house tonight for dinner, he will be serving green beer.
How do I know this?
I am the one bringing the green food coloring to color the beer he is providing.
I am also bringing dinner and since it is St. Patricks Day I have composed a meal fitting for the celebrated day. 
And no, I am not Irish.
At least I do not think I have any Irish relatives but since my dad refers to us as "heinz 57's",
you never know.

Yesterday I made my first ever Irish soda bread trying to be as authentic as I could possible be.
Today I tried another recipe that I printed off of the internet written by a lady who is Irish so I am assuming she knows her stuff.
The recipe called for the addition of oats and wheat germ along with the addition of some butter and one egg.
Now, while doing my research it became apparent to me that no self-respecting Irish person tweeked their soda bread recipe however, I found that Noreen's recipe had been personally tweeked the end result being very different from what I have come to understand as authentic soda bread.  And, no disrespect intended to Noreen or any other person of Irish heritage but upon following her recipe I continued to tweek it just a bit more simply because I used  the items I had on hand.
And it may be sacrilege,  but I even added pumpkin seeds and my only reason why...because they are green.
The rest of my menu is going to be as authentic as possible, Irish stew and colcannon.
For dessert, a cake made with Irish cream and a hint of mint.

Colcannon I have learned can be made with either the green curly leaf of kale or cabbage.
Cabbage holds an honorable place in Irish cooking.
"Cabbage, thought to be distributed throughout northern Europe by the Celts, thrived once it reached the cool climate of the Irish Isle and soon became an important source of nourishment throughout Ireland.
As few crops were able to withstand the bad weather, greens such as cabbage & kale, along with leeks and onions, which could be stored in dry barns, were the main sources of fook in the winters of the twelfth through sixteenth centuries before the introduction of the (not so humble) potato."
"A prominent staple in the diet of rural farmers, the 1729 Tribune writes:
"the choicest food is potatoes, cabbage and milk, while they enjoy one part of the year, during the rest they must contend themselves with such herbs as they can pick up in the fields."
-Stephanie Jolly
Suite 101.com

Makes you feel like giving cabbage the respect it deserves.
And I shall, beginning with dinner for my friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you tweeked the bread did ya? How come you never added the green food coloring or did you only have enough on hand to color the beer?
That has got to be the most Irish menu that I have ever seen written!
Knowing your talent, I am sure all will thoroughly enjoy what is set before them.
But please no green coloring in the hair. That looks terrible!