Monday, January 4, 2010

Taking Initiative.

Today, this afternoon, I spent a good portion of my day going through my recipe binder. Adding and subtracting the printed or ripped out recipes from magazines that I have accumulated over the years. Surmizing whether or not I would hang onto the recipe that I had placed into that plastic jacket some time ago and had yet to actually make.
I even found some duplicates along the way.
And, some recipes have sentimental value to me.
My dads recipe for "Charney's Cinnamon Buns" or my moms, "peanut butter cookie recipe", a recipe that is tried and true.
All this as part of the new years mandate that falls under the umbrella of "initiative" not necessarily resolution.
After all, we usually break those resolutions after a time.
But this year I have settled on the initiative to "unclutter" to "organize" and then "re-organize".
Thus, the last couple of days have been spent surveying every square inch of cupboard space.
The pure mental activity it takes as I process what stays and what gets the "boot" is enough to make one perspire.
I am just thankful that I do not own a house.
And this is only the first of many steps as we, that is my husband and I embark on our own new year initiative.
One day at a time is my mantra.
Earlier in the day, I strolled down Granville, peering into windows where signs displayed 50% off Christmas items. Last year I would of jumped at the chance to stock up for the next season but this year I have turned a new leaf.
Out with the old, in with the new.
I am thinking a good start to the new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Must get with it myself but never seem to have the energy to get started. Good start for you Celeste!